I think the problem is that I was using the “old” PC to do the converting, and not my new workhorse machine.
I installed the conversion software on my better computer, and things are speeding up much faster. A song on the new computer takes roughly 15 seconds to convert, versus a minute and a half on the old computer. That’s going over my wireless network from the old PC (where the music’s stored) to the new PC where it’s being converted and saved.
At this rate, I should get done today or tomorrow. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this in the first place.
Sometimes the software craps out, and doesn’t convert a track right, but I’m sure I won’t even miss those songs that it doesn’t work right on. Will update again shortly.